August 2018 Chapter Meeting
August Chapter Meeting
Welcome back from summer break! This month we have a guest speaker from Rapid7, who will be speaking on the Center for Internet Security (CIS) Top 20 Critical Security Controls. Previously under a “SANS” title, this set of best practices aims to help organizations assess and prioritize areas for improvement in security infrastructure.
Thursday, August 16 at 8:00am will be our monthly chapter meeting at the MSU Federal Credit Union Mt. Hope / Farm Lane Community room. Michael Cole will be presenting on “The CIS Top 20 Controls – Leveraging and Adapting CIS:20 v7 for Success” and showing how this is possible on a shoestring budget. Let us know if you will be in attendance by visiting our registration page. We hope to see you there!
We will be utilizing the MSU FCU Farm Lane Community Room right off of the parking lot, per previous meetings. There will be someone posted at the door for entry & to let you know you’re in the right place. Refuel with fresh coffee and stimulating conversation!
- August 4-9: BlackHat USA 2018 conference in Las Vegas, Nevada
- August 7-8: BSides Las Vegas conference in Las Vegas, Nevada
- August 9-12: DEFCON 26 conference in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Our chapter president, Kelley Goldblatt, will be speaking at a DEFCON Skytalk this year! Check out the Skytalks area on Saturday, August 11th at 2pm to hear Kelley and our upcoming Annual Training Event Leader Marcelle Lee present.
- August 16: Lansing ISSA regular chapter meetings start back up again, at 8:00am at the MSUFCU on Mt. Hope Road in Lansing, MI
- September 24-27: 2018 InfraGard Congress and Training Conference – this year’s theme is “Strategies for Security Multiplied” in Las Vegas, Nevada
- November 2-3: Lansing Cyber Academy Annual Training Event in Lansing, MI
- More information coming out on this soon, stay tuned!
If you need CPE forms, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and list any chapter meetings you attended to receive recognition. If your name corresponds with our records, we’ll send a copy your way.
The Marketing Director and Education Director positions are still open for Lansing ISSA members who may be interested in taking a more active role with the organization.
We’re always looking for new speakers! If you’d like to present to a captive audience of information security professionals and students at one of our upcoming meetings on a topic in the field, reach out to email@example.com to let us know.
The Lansing ISSA chapter appreciates the location sponsorship of MSUFCU!